Are We There Yet? Travelling Internationally With Children

Travelling abroad with children can get complicated because governments want to do their best to prevent parents from taking their children out of the country and not coming back, which is also known as international child abduction. If you are vacationing with your children out of the country and are married, some countries (such as Mexico), may require you to obtain your spouse’s permission in order to take your children out of the country without him/her. If you are divorced this is not … [Read more...]

Russia’s Price on Higher Education

Although many Americans complain about the price of higher education, in Russia the price tag for an advanced degree (Master’s, Ph.D., etc.) runs around $40,000—literally. Russian citizens have been purchasing fake diplomas for years with little to no consequences. With the penalty for knowingly buying a fake diploma being a maximum $2600 fines and two years of “correctional labor,” coupled with the fact that employers seldom check the authenticity applicant’s diplomas, it is unlikely the … [Read more...]

Oman Joins the Hague Apostille Convention

Citizens of several countries planning to move to Oman will see a change in document certification regulations. These changes are a result of Oman joining the Hague Apostille Convention in late January.  Under the convention, official documents issued in Oman can now be certified, or apostilled, for legal use in all other participating countries. This news benefits the large South Asian expatriate community in Oman that is now able to use Indian documents more easily. Those planning … [Read more...]

Apostille (Apostilla), Visas, and Relocating to Mexico

If you are relocating to Mexico, you will have to obtain a visa, which means that you will have to submit a lot of paperwork.  Each visa is company and position specific, and be sure to apply as far in advance as possible, since it can take months to apply for a visa. However, having your visa approved is not the end of the paperwork. Whether you need to renew your visa, rent a house, or buy a car, you will be asked to produce various documents, such as your birth certificate, marriage … [Read more...]

How to: Get Apostille for Indian Citizens Going Abroad

Indian citizens seeking a job abroad need to obtain an apostille in order for their personal and educational records to be recognized.  Apostilles will be issued by the Ministry of External Affairs’ CPV division and will be required for documents such as birth certificates, affidavits, marriage certificates, power of attorney, degrees, and diplomas. Personal documents need to be first verified by the home departments or general admission departments of the individual’s respective state. … [Read more...]

How to: Certify Documents for Eastern European Wedding

With destination weddings in Prague and Vienna becoming increasingly more popular, it is important to familiarize yourself with the laws of Austria and the Czech Republic well before the wedding date. Be aware that both countries require you and your future spouse to submit various documents two to four weeks in advance.  These documents include passports, birth certificates, drivers’ licenses, proof of residence, and proof of marital status (such as divorce or death certificates for previous … [Read more...]